The majority of the following information has been sourced from The Midnight: Official Discord and can be verified by checking that server's ARG channels.
May 30, 2022
At 18:47 UTC on May 30, 2022, the Twitter account lostboy_84 tweeted out an emoji of a heart on fire. Since this Twitter account was used to facilitate updates and clues during the Fall 2020 ARG, it was speculated that a new ARG was beginning.
183010165.com, the site used for much of the previous ARG, was found to have been updated. Previously functioning as a mock instant messaging type program, it was changed to look and function like a Linux terminal. Users were prompted to run the command "sudo apt full-upgrade -y" to install an "update package". After doing so, a considerable amount of text filled the terminal window, with one of the last lines being "https://183010165.com/mdnght/I'm at the centre of your blue heart. A drink will kill me. What am I? mp4-include InRelease".
That particular clue was a reference to the recent release of the Change Your Heart or Die vinyl, which was colored blue. Towards the center of the record the word "FIRE" was etched into each copy. That lead to the discovery of "https://183010165.com/mdnght/fire.mp4", a short video which contained a previously unseen artwork featuring a TV floating in space alongside a short clip of Golden Gate, a song that had previously been recorded solo by Tyler Lyle. A different teaser of the song was also hidden on the Change Your Heart or Die vinyl.
Examination of the MP4's metadata revealed that the audio file used in its creation was named "01_Golden Gate (Instrumental)_24bit_96kHz_Final_Master_3.18.22_LS_Edit.wav", and the image used was "heroes-bg-notext.png".
June 1, 2022
Several hours later, it was discovered that a full resolution version of the pixelated image was hidden within the pixelated by use of steganography. Running the program OpenStego on the file with the key "Heartbeat" revealed it to be the single cover for Heartbeat. Lost_boy84 tweeted once again saying "Now you see. Talk to you soon." confirming the second phase of the ARG to be complete.
On June 5, lost_boy84 tweeted a video containing a teaser for a new song. The bar on the comtek.life website maxed out on June 8, and the single Heartbeat (teased in the June 5 video) was subsequently released alongside an official announcement of The Midnight's fifth album, Heroes.
On June 13, the name "LOSTBOY84" and an obscured phrase of "See you on the other side" were discovered on the artwork of the deluxe booklet of Heroes, as seen in renderings on the album's preorder page. The lost_boy84 account tweeted a response to a mention of this, stating "You have a keen eye, but I'm not ready yet. I'll reach out soon..."
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter". Twitter. May 30, 2022. Archived from the original on June 5, 2022. Retrieved June 5, 2022.
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter: "💓" / Twitter". Twitter. June 1, 2022. Archived from the original on June 1, 2022. Retrieved June 24, 2022.
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter: "Look closer. You may not be getting the full picture." / Twitter". Twitter. June 1, 2022. Archived from the original on June 1, 2022. Retrieved June 24, 2022.
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter: "Now you see. Talk to you soon." / Twitter". Twitter. June 1, 2022. Archived from the original on June 1, 2022. Retrieved June 24, 2022.
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter". Twitter. June 5, 2022. Archived from the original on June 5, 2022. Retrieved June 24, 2022.
- "lost_boy84 on Twitter: "You have a keen eye, but I'm not ready yet. I'll reach out soon..." / Twitter". Twitter. June 13, 2022. Archived from the original on June 14, 2022. Retrieved June 24, 2022.