From The Floppy Disk
|Birth name||Tim Daniel McEwan|
|Also known as||Data, iAmData|
|Born||September 16, 1979|
McEwan grew up in a musical family and started drumming at a young age. Around the age of 17, he began producing and did a few productions in his native Denmark. In 2008, he joined the Danish production group Deekay and began writing and producing for many popular artists.
In 2012, McEwan met Tyler Lyle at a songwriting workshop in Los Angeles. The two made an instant connection and began writing songs. McEwan and Lyle formed The Midnight and self-released their first extended play (EP) in 2014 and have continuously released music since.
McEwan was born in Copenhagen, Denmark to Tom McEwan and Terese Damsholt. His father is an actor and musician and his mother is an actress. He has a brother, Oliver, who is also a musician. Being the son of a musician, McEwan was exposed to music from a young age, having access to a guitar, drum, and piano at home growing up. He started playing the drums as an adolescent and began producing at the age of 17.
Throughout the early 2000s, McEwan produced a few songs and did some remixes. He gained higher prominence in 2008, writing and producing several songs on Show the World, the debut album from Danish singer and The X-Factor winner Martin. Also in 2008, McEwan became a member of the production/songwriting team Deekay, a Danish-based outfit that has written and produced songs for many popular artists including Jordin Sparks, Sugababes, JLS, and New Kids on the Block. In 2009, McEwan served as the drummer for Niels Brinck, who performed the song Believe Again as part of Denmark’s entry to that year’s Eurovision Song Contest. The song made the contest final where it finished in thirteenth place.
Still residing in Denmark, McEwan visited Los Angeles in 2012 and met Georgia based singer-songwriter Tyler Lyle at a songwriter’s workshop in North Hollywood organized by Katie Donovan, Lyle’s A&R representative at the time. Prior to meeting, McEwan had listened to some of Lyle’s previous work and liked Lyle’s folk sound. The two began writing songs and on McEwan’s suggestion, based their sound on 80s synth, having prior exposure to the synthwave genre and being inspired by the movie Drive. Their first song written as a duo was WeMoveForward, and their first release as a band under The Midnight moniker was the 2014 extended play Days of Thunder. McEwan is the primary producer and songwriter in The Midnight. While Lyle is the primary vocalist and lyricist, McEwan wrote the lyrics and sang the vocals on the songs Synthetic and Comet.
- "Multi-platinum Record Production Team Deekay – Pro Music Magazine – Inside the Music Business". Pro Music Magazine. September 21, 2008. Archived from the original on April 12, 2021. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "Multi-platinum Record Production Team Deekay". My Hit Online. September 21, 2008.
- "THE MIDNIGHT: Tim McEwan And Tyler Lyle On Bringing 'Monsters' To Life!". Icon Vision. July 9, 2020. Archived from the original on February 24, 2021. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "April 1, 2010". Discogs. Archived from the original on May 30, 2021. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "Martin – Show The World (2008, CD)". Discogs. May 30, 2008. Archived from the original on April 1, 2022. Retrieved April 1, 2022.
- "Credits - DEEKAY Music". Deekay Music. January 1, 2022. Archived from the original on October 26, 2020. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "BT TV: McEwan-brødre skal føre Brinck til sejr | BT Underholdning - www.bt.dk". BT. Archived from the original on June 25, 2021. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "The Midnight on Seminal Album "Monsters" and the Volcanic Potential of Synthwave Culture [Interview] - EDM.com - The Latest Electronic Dance Music News, Reviews & Artists". EDM.com. August 18, 2020. Archived from the original on April 17, 2021. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "Who Are The Midnight?: An Interview with the Masters of Modern Nostalgia". Vehlinggo. November 12, 2017. Archived from the original on March 24, 2022. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
- "Retrowave Sessions Ep 2: The Midnight - YouTube". YouTube. May 30, 2019. Archived from the original on March 24, 2022. Retrieved April 3, 2022.
Click the heading above to read more!
You've Got Mail!
- 19th September, 2023
- Tour - The Summer 2024 Australian Tour is announced with three shows planned in the cities of Sydney (February 29), Brisbane, (March 1) and Melbourne (March 2). This will be first time since 2019 that The Midnight have performed in Australia.
- 16th September, 2023
- Tour - The Fall 2023 North American Tour kicks off at the Music Midtown festival in Atlanta, GA.
- 1st September, 2023
- Music - Red, White and Bruised: The Midnight Live is released on all platforms.
- 15th August, 2023
- Music - Red, White and Bruised: The Midnight Live is announced for a full release on September 1, 2023. In addition to vinyl, a new cassette version is also available for pre-order. The digital and cassette versions contain eight additional tracks.
- 20th June, 2023
- Tour - Flamingosis, who previously supported The Midnight during the Fall 2019 Tour, is announced as the supporting act for the Fall 2023 North American Tour. Dates in Nashville and Memphis have been added.
- 6th June, 2023
- Tour - The Midnight announces a July 30 show at the The Bellwether in Los Angeles, CA. The Midnight will be one of the first acts to perform at this new venue.
- 31st May, 2023
- Tour - The Midnight is announced as part of the lineup for Heineken Silver Live Out, a music festival to take place in Monterrey, MX on October 23.
- 16th May, 2023
- Tour - The Midnight is announced as part of the lineup for Music Midtown. The band's show at the festival will take place on September 16 in Atlanta, GA and is considered part of the Fall 2023 North American Tour.
Did You Know?
- ...that Tyler Lyle once lived in Paris?
- ...that Lost Boy was featured in an episode of 13 Reasons Why?
- ...that WeMoveForward was the first song written by the band?
- ...that Brooklyn. Friday. Love. was originally a demo for the Tyler Lyle album Floating Years?
- ...that Tim McEwan is originally from Copenhagen, Denmark?
- ...that The Midnight Remixed is the band's first release to appear on a Billboard chart?
- ...that Daytona had a working title of Daytona Beach?
- ...that The Midnight's first live concert was at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco in July 2017?
- ...that Golden Gate, Souvenir and Brooklyn were originally released on the Tyler Lyle album The Floating Years?
- ...that the voice in the intro of River of Darkness is from a guy named Eric?
Click the heading above to see more fan photos!